Makes 4 servings
Macros with lean ground beef and 2 tbsp lite ricotta cheese:
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Small Bunch Italian parsley (optional)
1 ½ lb Lean Ground Beef or Turkey
2 8oz cans Tomato Sauce
½ lb White or Baby Belle Mushrooms (white are more mild, bella have more mushrooms taste)
1 med Yellow Onion
4 med Zucchini Squash
Small container Ricotta Cheese (optional but delicious)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and halve zucchini lengthwise. Scrape out and discard the soft flesh from the middle of each half. (4 Zucchini)
- Place zucchini halves in a baking dish cut side up. Rub with a little olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake while you prepare the filling, 15-20 minutes. (about 1 tsp oilve oil, ⅛ tsp salt, ⅛ tsp black pepper)
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat (this will need to be big enough to hold the sauce you are about to make and the ground beef, you could use a large pot if you don’t have a saute pan big enough).
- Wash and small dice mushrooms. Wash and dice tomatoes. Peel and mince onion and garlic. (½ lb mushrooms, 2 tomatoes, 1 med yellow onion, 2 cloves garlic)
- Coat bottom of pan with oil. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Stirring frequently, cook until vegetables are softened, 3-4 minutes. (1 tbsp coconut oil, or you can use a non-stick spray if you have one).
- Add your ground meat and, breking apart with a spoon, cook until browned and crumbly, 3-4 minutes. (1 ½ lb lean ground beef or ground turkey)
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2-3 minutes. (2 8oz cans tomato sauce, 2 tsp, italian seasoning, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper)
- Remove dish from oven. Fill zucchini halves with beefy sauce mixture, top with a carefully measured dollop (1-2 tablespoons) of Ricotta cheese and a few chopped parsley leaves. Enjoy!