Makes 4 servings
2 med carrots
2 med heads cauliflower
2 cloves garlic
2 (thumb length) pieces ginger root
1 small bunch green onions
2 bunches kale
1 ½ lb lean ground beef
2 tbsp rice vinegar
4 tbsp Soy sauce
Non-stick spray or coconut oil
- Wash and dry the fresh produce (2 med cauliflower heads, 2 med carrots, 2 bunches kale, 1 small bunch green onions-I actually hate green onion so I make this without it and do not miss it).
- Cut the cauliflower heads into quarters, then trim off and discard the leaves and thick stems. Using a cheese grater or food processor, coarsely grate the cauliflower and transfer to a large bowl.(grating the cauliflower always makes an enormous mess with a cheese grater so if you don’t have a food processor then you can just chop the crap out of it in small sections, or just buy the already chopped up one from the frozen section at the grocery store. Trader Joe’s, sprouts and Von’s all make one.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. (if you have a big Wok use that you need a huge skillet or pan) and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the grated cauliflower to the skillet and season with ½ tsp salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Once done, return back to the bowl.
- While the cauliflower cooks, fold the kale leaves in half lengthwise and slice off the stems. Roughly chop the leaves and transfer to a large bowl. Cut the stems into ½-inch pieces and transfer to a medium bowl. (Honestly I just rip the leaves apart and into bite size pieces, cutting takes me longer, so feel free to choose your adventure.)
- Trim and discard the ends and peel the carrots; julienne or coarsely grate the carrots and add to the bowl of kale stems.
- Peel and mince the 2 cloves garlic; add to the bowl.
- Peel and mince your 2 thumb size ginger pieces; add to the bowl.
- Trim off and discard the ends of the green onions; chop the onions on an angle into ¼-inch pieces. Add all the white parts and about ½ of the greens to the other vegetables and transfer the rest to a small bowl for later.
- Once the cauliflower has been transferred, increase the heat to medium and add more non-stick spray to the skillet.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking the meat apart with a spoon, until the beef is browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the kale stems, carrots, garlic, and ginger; cook, stirring regularly, until the vegetables soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the kale leaves and drizzle with 4 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp rice vinegar; continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide the cauliflower rice between four bowls (or two bowls and two lunch containers), top with the stir fry, and sprinkle with the remaining green onions. Enjoy!